Thursday, October 25, 2012

Human Stubbornness

Years ago, I participated in a series of discussions over whether the Expanded Universe material was considered canonical Star Wars. I wrote to Lucas Licensing and to my surprise, received a response from Howard Roffman, the President of Lucas Licensing. Even more surprising was the directness of his response. "No, it is not."

What was really interesting was the response I received when posting the letter on the discussion boards. Not one person's opinion was changed. NOT ONE. Any one of them could have written and verified that Roffman's letter was authentic. No one did.

I can only imagine that we are just as stubborn regarding relevant controversial issues as well. Skeptics may argue "If only God gave me more evidence, I might believe." Given my experience with something as trivial as the Star Wars canon, I highly doubt it.

No comments: